Agenda 16 May 2011

 

Date: 9 May 2011
 
To: The Members of Monkton Parish Council                                                      
 
You are hereby summond to attend the Annual Parish Meeting followed by the Annual Parish Council Meeting. Meetings are to be held at Monkton Village Hall, on Monday 16 May 2011 at 6.30pm for the purpose of transacting the business mentioned below.
 
 
 
AGENDA
 
ANNUAL PARISH MEETING
 
Meeting open to the floor to receive any questions, comments or suggestions.
 
 
TO BE FOLLOWED BY
 
PARISH COUNCIL MEETING                                                     
 
 
Signed:                                    Clerk
  
 
AGENDA
 
At the end of the meeting, the Chairman will receive any representations from members of the public.
 
Item                                                     Subject
No
 
 
1          ELECTION OF CHAIRMAN
           
            Chairman to sign Declaration of Acceptance of Chairman.          
 
2          ELECTION OF VICE CHAIRMAN
           
3          TO NOTE RETURN NAMES OF PERSONS ELECTED TO MONKTON PARISH COUNCIL 5May 2011
 
            Gilly Brown 168 Monkton St, Monkton (Declaration of Acceptance signed 10 May 2011. Register of         Members Personal Interest Form sent to TDC)
            Nick Cole 124 Monkton St, Monkton  (Declaration of Acceptance to be signed before the meeting begins).
            Anthony Davies 8 Parsonage Fields, Monkton (Declaration of Acceptance signed 11 May 2011).
                                                                                                                                             
            Dave Spillet 12 Monkton Manor, Monkton (Declaration of Acceptance not signed. Register of Members    Personal  Interest not sent.
            John Way 10 Monkton Manor, Monkton (Declaration of Acceptance signed 10 May 2011. Register of       Members Personal Interest form sent to TDC).
 
4          APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
 
            Cllr Dave Spillet on holiday.
 
5           DECLARATIONS OF INTERESTS
 
To register any new interests, or deregistration, by Members.
 
6          ELECTION OF PARISH REPRESENTATIVES
 
To resolve new positions.
Highways                     REQUIRED     
KALC                           REQUIRED/Clerk
KIACC                          Nick Cole/Gilly Brown
Monkton School           REQUIRED
MYFC                           Gilly Brown/John Way
Parish Council Forum REQUIRED
Parks & Environment   Gilly Brown
Planning                      John Way/REQUIRED
Regeneration                REQUIRED
Speedwatch                 John Way
Village Hall Cttee          John Way/REQUIRED
 
POSSIBLE NEW CTTEE’S ARE:
Flood Environment Cttee
Thanet Conservation Group
Neighbourhood Watch
                       
7          MINUTES OF PARISH COUNCIL MEETING
                                                    
            To approve the Minutes of the Parish Council Meetings held on 21 March 2011 and 5 April 2011.
 
8          ANNOUNCEMENTS
 
            To receive any announcements from the Chairman.
 
9         FINANCIAL MATTERS
 
             a)  To note and resolve to agree receipts and payments as listed. Two Cllr’s to sign cheques.  (Appendix B)
              b)  To note Agency & Precept payments for 2011/12.
                   (i) Agency- £3670.00                      (ii) Precept-£7257.00
            c) To note audit has been sent to internal auditor.         
 
10         REPORT OF THE CLERK Appendix A  
 
 
11         RECREATION GROUND
           
            a) To receive an updated report on the Recreation Ground from Gilly Brown.
            b) To receive an invoice from TDC for £375  – rent for the period 1.4.2011 – 30.6.2011.
                                                                                                                                                                       
12         STANDING ORDERS
 
            To receive whether to purchase ‘The Revised 1st Edition of Standing Orders’- cost £25.
 
13         NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF LOCAL COUNCILS CONFERENCE
 
            This is a yearly conference. It will be held in London on 22 September. Members to receive whether a             representative should go. Main idea is to network and offers help on delivering facilities to local people. 
 
14         ARMED FORCES DAY
 
            Members to receive whether Armed Forces Day should be recognised by ‘flying a flag’ in our community. The             official date is Saturday 25 June 2011 and to show support the flag must be displayed for 1 week prior to this             date.      
                       
15         REPRESENTATIVE REPORTS
           
            To receive reports from representatives on: 
 
            Highways                                   Road surface near the roundabout which had cracked has now been                                                  repaired. Mini roundabout Road Markings need repainting.
            KAPC (Thanet)                                     
            KIACC                                        Cllr Cole/Cllr Ms Brown
            Monkton School                          
            Monkton Youth Football Club      Cllr Ms Brown
            Parish Council Forum                 Cllr Mrs Butler (meeting held on 8 Feb)
            Parks and Environment               Cllr Ms Brown- checks on play area    
            Planning Appendix C                   Cllr Way to report.                                              
            Regeneration                              
            Speedwatch/TRRG                     Cllr Way
            Village Hall Committee                Cllr Way
                                                                     
                                                                                                                                                           
16        DATES AND TIME OF FUTURE MEETINGS
 
            27 June 2011, 12 Sept 2011, 14 Nov 2011 & 16 Jan 2011, all at 6.30pm.
 
 
 
 
APPENDIX A
MONKTON PARISH COUNCIL


PARISH COUNCIL MEETING
Monday 16 May 2011
CLERK/RFO’S REPORT – Agenda Item 8
 
 
It was resolved at the meeting on 21 March 2011 to purchase a ‘Police approved’ Radar Gun to assist the Speedwatch volunteers in the village at a cost of up to £350.   This was ordered at a cost of £212.40 (inc VAT) but now it may not be possible to use these. The Clerk is waiting to hear whether the radar gun should be sent back. The Police are possibly recommending these radar guns are not used by volunteers as they are possibly ‘provocative’.
 
Interactive sign was postponed from the agenda.   
 
3  Cllr G Brown applied for a £1000 Community Grant from Charles Hibberd and this was accepted. The Grant is to be used for improving the entrance to the Recreation Ground which includes repairing the car park area.    Quotes to complete this work are in the region of £4000. Another grant of £1000 still needs to be obtained as it was resolved that the work would be completed subject to grants of at least 50% or more being obtained.  Cllrs/Clerk to liaise and pursue further grant applications.
 
4  Members are reminded they need to go to the bank and sign a new mandate after the May elections. Clerk will liaise Cllr’s when would be the best time.
 
5 Clerk has liaised with the Walking Bus Team via Cllr Tony Davies, and the large Vehicles which often park at the junction of Parsonage Fields are not a hindrance to them.
 
Finger Sign update. C Hibberd sent the Clerk an email on 20 Jan stating he tried to obtain a cast iron replacement, but very few foundries produce these now and the prices are horrendous. KHS have informed him an aluminium sign could be produced for approx £1000 and could be painted to look exactly like the original article. He has paperwork for completion and would like to know if Members have any views before he authorised the purchase.
 
The Clerk informed back again that Members wanted the original FS repaired and moved- as it could be unpopular with the residents to lose the sign. Derek Smith from the Village has phoned the Clerk and said he can weld the FS as he did this 3 years ago. But the problem is, this has broken off since- and there are safety issues. The FS was likely to be damaged by a lorry as is situated very close to the road. C Hibberd still looking into this. Clerk chased this up on 10 May.
 
FGS Gritting Contractors. Cllr J Way met with FGS on 20 April. The areas agreed are:
Monkton St- from the small roundabout up to the Church.
Parsonage Fields- entire cul-de-sac.
Vicarage Gdns- only the first tarmacked area is owned by Highways.
Seamark Close- entire cul-de-sac.
 
The gritting includes footpaths and they are fully insured. They have recommended a call out system to avoid unnecessary costs. Cllrs Nick Cole/John Way will text them when necessary. If there is heavy snow then a snow plough can be hired for the cost of £40p/hr. Clerk awaits contract (chased up on 10 May).
 
Members resolved to participate in the Fields Trust’s project which is led by Prince William to mark the Diamond Jubilee and Olympics by suggesting the Recreation is put forward. The aim is to protect outdoor recreational sites to benefit communities. By including the Recreation Ground, this would permanently secure it for recreation use and inclusion is also an excellent basis for grant applications. The application would require written permission from TDC as they are the landowners. Clerk to liaise and organised.
 
Cllr’s to hold a Monkton Surgery where residents bring problems/issues. The Clerk and 1 or more Cllr to be based at the Village Hall for 2 hours month. Will be placed in June’s newsletter. The newsletter had to go out early and this item was not able to be added.
 
10 The Council received a request from a resident to have some leylandi cut which are growing in the Recreation Ground and border her garden. The trees are some 60 ft tall and cause alot of shade. An initial quote for the work from Broadleys was provided at a cost in the region of £1000 plus VAT. It is 3 days work and they take the wood away.  Mrs May was invited to speak. She has lived at the property for 10 years.   Members resolved that there was an important cost issue involved and they would liaise with MYFC. Clerk liaised with MYFC and they cannot help us.  Clerk contacted TDC to enquire whether they would cut the trees.
 
11 Serco were contacted as the upper bank betweenMillers Lane and Parsonage Fields had not been cut for a while. A request for weed killer to be treated to that area was also made. Serco have not increased their prices this year.
 
12 HMRC released new guidance on the employment status of Town and Parish Clerks and Responsible Financial Officers. Clerks who at present are self employed cannot continue in this way after 6th April 2011. Monkton Parish Council must register as an employer and deduct PAYE and NIC. All returns must be done online and payments made electronically. This guidance supersedes the general advice on the on the HMRC website and the information in the Practitioner’s Guide concerning PAYE & NIC.
Some Councils or clerks previously had an agreement with the HMRC whereby the clerk has been either paid gross or treated as self employed. This cannot continue and the Councils must register under PAYE with the HMRC before their first pay day of the new financial year. Each Council is a separate employer and must register and obtain its own PAYE reference. KMRC will expect an annual return from every Parish Council even if the Clerk’s pay is below the threshold for PAYE & NIC. Clerk organising.
 
APPENDIX B
 
MONKTON PARISH COUNCIL
FINANCIAL STATEMENT
 
 
 

 

DATE PREPARED                                       
16 May 2011
Cheques out
Date
Cheque
Number   
Voucher
Number
Details
200411
425
1
Onsitetools Ltd- Radar Gun- minute ref 79/10-11
*212.40
200411
426
2
Steve Dunn (signed by John and Roy)
425.00
160511
427
3
KALC (2 x Good Cllr Guides)
2.00
160511
428
4
SLCC (Clerk Membership)
95.00
160511
429
5
KALC (Subscription)
229.94
160511
430
6
Gina Anzani (Petty Cash)
100.00
160511
431
7
Action with Communities in Rural Kent
35.00
 
 
 
 
Appendix C
 
Ref. and location
 
 
Description
MPC action &
outcome
F/TH/11/0166
 
White Stag
Application for extension of time planning permission F/TH/07/1289, for erection of a single storey 16 no. bedroom Hotel together with associated parking and access
 
MPC’s John’s comments so far:
MPC has no objections provided the application still stipulates that the front gardens of Downfast are altered to accommodate the planning application .
Granted on 210411
F/TH/11/0199
 
121 Monkton St
 
 
 
MPC comments -over development of the original site; such a large extension leaving just blank walls for the neighbour at 119. Also out of keeping with the local street scene and other similar premises within the same area. (contd..)
  
Erection of a part one and part two storey side extension, following demolition of existing extension
(cont’d)
Possible views of the school premises adjacent to the proposed new building, especially from any first floor windows. Consideration should  be given regarding the fence to the western side of the property which should be replaced to prevent an overview of the school premises. (cont’d)
 
(Cont’d)
Requested  that the matter be deferred to the Planning department and tight overseeing of the building regulations with regards to the proposed extension, to include the roof which Monkton Parish Council understands is unsatisfactory.
Concerns that vehicles should not be parked on the street outside of the property in the future ,taking into account the close proximity of the adjacent school crossing yellow zigzag lines.